Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Best of 2010 #1: Joanna Newsom- Have One on Me


Best of 2010 #1!! For me, it's kind of undeniable. Some will argue and some just hate, but it would be hard for me to be convinced that there was a bigger achievement than Have One on Me. Three discs, amazing lyricism, exceptional musicality, great production, songs that are catchy yet long and without choruses, great melodies that are instantly classic without being clear rip-offs of other melodies...who else did anything close to this in 2010?
While talking about how much I liked this album this year, I got a lot of I-just-don't-like-her responses. Which I won't deny anyone from having, but I will say that I was not much of a fan before this. My interest was certainly peaked in 2002 upon hearing Walnut Whales and while "Peach, Plum, Pear" might have been one of the best produced indie songs of the decade, I haven't been particularly passionate about anything she's done up until now. Have One on Me is simply a masterpiece. There are those Joni moments where good songwriting doesn't necessarily translate into accessibility, but, you know, sometimes, fuck accessibility.
I had been wondering what the single was since it came out and, finally, through reading all these year end lists I come to find out that it's "Good Intentions Paving Company," which makes sense, but in my opinion there are so many better songs! "Baby Birch," "Go Long," and "On a Good Day" top my list.
Joanna Newsom- On A Good Day (off Have One on Me)

No comments:

Post a Comment