Tuesday, July 20, 2010

What the Heck Fest 2010


Another year at Anacortes' always-amazing What the Heck Fest and, instead of describing its summer camp-y uniqueness, I'm just going to throw same names and songs at ya. Highlights: O Paon, Mt Eerie, Karl Blau, Earth, Lori Goldston, Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat Dan Singa, Nicholas Wilbur, Ropin' the Wind (a indie-star-studded Garth Brooks cover band), Angelo Spencer & Les Hauts Sommets, Kimya Dawson.
O Paon is Genvieve Castree. Formerly known as Woelv, she makes amazing webs made from darkness. She just put out her first full length, which doesn't seem to be online yet, but I have a feeling will soon be available from PW Elverum & Sun. She's been my festival favorite three years running.
O Paon- Le Retour (off the No Band is an Island 2008 Heck Fest compilation)
I always forget I like D+ until I see them play. Lead by Bret Lunsford (Beat Happening, What the Heck founder), him, Karl Blau, and Phil Elverum make simple songs grand with each of their ridiculous amounts of talent.
D+- Certainty (also off the No Band is an Island 2008 Heck Fest compilation)
This is a total freak-out, everytime. Must be seen to be believed, might not come across quite the same on recording.
Arrington de Dionyso's Malaikat Dan Singa- Mani Malaikat (off their self-titled album)
Ok, here's some people that didn't play, but I thought about due to the fest. Swimming is a favorite of mine and, though I don't think they make music anymore, their albums kind of define the sound that was happening in Olympia when I first moved here most of decade ago. If they were still playing, they'd be one of the yearly staples of the fest.
Swimming- Mountains (off You Are Yr Own)
At the after-party dance-party saturday night, they played the Vengaboys and I flipped. Not because I love the Vengaboys, but because I love Foxdye and she loves the Vengaboys. When I spazzed uncontrollably on the dance floor, I heard this song playing.
Foxdye- One Leg in the Booty Shorts (off M4gic47 G7im3ring R@inb0w)

1 comment:

  1. i think in this festival, it misses someone !
    AGNES OBEL.

    Her songs are perfect. If you don't know her. Download for free one of her song just here : http://playit.pias.com/agnesobel/philharmonics/

    ReplyDelete