Monday, September 6, 2010

Catching Up (Part One)


With my last post, I didn't take the time to say, "hey, it's been a while." Due to getting ready for the Portland Zine Symposium and a semi-elaborate dark fairy tale themed tour, I have not been keeping up on this. And things having been building up. Here's part one in my attempt to catch up.
So, my dear friend and bandmate Alexis Wolf uncovered the Swift demo for me. An old Olympia band of amazing folks. This is my favorite.
Swift- Purple Flowers
Ms Wolf also turned me on to the poet Tom Blood, who has a great poem in Peaches & Bats #4 and releases things on Marriage Records.
Tom Blood- Pigeon
My favorite Tacoma band is Humble Cub. Their first album came out before they became an amazing 5 piece, but is still really good.
Humble Cub- Secrets of the Beach
Oreaganomics sent me a new song. I always appreciate how delightfully weird they are. Based on the popularity of the last post I did about them, they have a little following, too.
Oreagonomics- Courage
You may notice that I don't often take the musical jaunt into hardcore punk. I hear it a lot around my house and heard it a lot growing up, but I don't really seek it out. Hearing Meconium's new cd, though, does it for me in a way that most doesn't. Maybe it's because it's hard math rock more than hardcore and it fucks with my head when I listen to all the timing changes and think about Geph Shannon (If It Ain't Breakfast Don't Fix It) screaming his head off, I don't know. But it just does it.
Meconium- Hooks and Veils (off Kringla)

No comments:

Post a Comment